Updated: Nov 24, 2020
In this day and age we are constantly told what we have to do to look after ourself. It normally involves losing weight, reducing alcohol, stop smoking and exercise. These things are definitely important and can help with your mental health and self esteem, but what else can you do to start loving yourself.
1) Take time to breath - sometimes just stopping and listening to your breathing can be a wonderful way to relax. Close your eyes, relax the muscles around your eyes and just centre your breathing in your body. As you relax, you can begin to feel more able to cope.
2) When you look in the mirror just remember that every part of you is special, you are a unique human being, and you can love who you are without judgement. Hard to do I know but it is possible, do this every day for a week and suddenly you begin to feel a difference.
3) Spend some time looking after yourself every week, if you like to exercise decide on what you like best and do it (at least twice a week), if having a bath is your thing (pick a time when you can do this in peace and quiet), putting on body lotion or having a massage (try to find the time to do this). Put yourself first for at least 1 to 2 hours a week and see what difference this makes.
4) Make times for a social life (even if it is only online at the moment) - we have been having a quiz night once a week with my partners family. Meet with friends in whatever way works, online disco, food club, book club, quiz nights or even gin parties - anything is possible (just take the plunge).
5) Laugh every day, at the moment this can be difficult but find a way. We enjoy watching old comedians and some modern ones too. Streaming clips online of comedy shows is a wonderful way of just having a giggle or laugh, this is one of the most important things I can advise you to do. Laughter fills our body with endorphins which help us to feel more able to cope with life.
I said to breath!!!! All of the five steps above are about breathing, when life feels so negative, so difficult to cope, when we feel lost or alone - we need to stop, to breath, to listen and to remember there is hope, there is life, there is laughter, there is a reason to be!! Look after yourself and then you will be able to look after others.